Wednesday 1 July 2020

Our Dad Shoes: Work Boots

Our Dad Shoes: Work Boots

It was a post inspired by Chris Cluffs @chrisjcluff.  He was starting a website about dads: being one, having one, knowing one.  He called it Our Dad Shoes and invited anyone who wanted to, to contribute to it.  There are so many amazing tributes to dads and being a dad here.  I encourage you to check out all of them https://ourdadshoes.com/home/ .  It even has it's own Twitter handle: @ourdadshoes  and hashtag: #ourdadshoes. This is not just a Father's Day website - contributions continue to be most welcome, maybe you have something you would like to add to this collection.  Thank you to Chris for including my post.

The title got me thinking about the shoes I associate most closely with my own Dad, his workboots.  My Dad didn't work in an office, although he always had a home office.  He started his career finishing concrete and then went on literally build his own business first in concrete finishing but eventually into a custom home building and land development company.  I thought about how his truck was often his office and all the memories I have of riding in that cornucopia of construction equipment, concrete dust and all things "Dad".  

I remembered a picture of me as a very young girl, standing and trying to walk in Dad's work boots.  They were huge and heavy and balancing in them was hard enough!  As always, Dad was there to catch me when I fell out of them.  I always think of my Dad as he was then, in my childhood.  While I know he is now in his late seventies, I still think of him as a 30ish, larger than life man who would always catch me when I fell and always be someone I look up to and admire.  My head knows the truth.  My heart prefers not to do the math.

Here's the link to the finished post: Work Boots



No comments:

Post a Comment