Wednesday 1 July 2020

A rocking chair, a Saturday night and some fireflies

It's the first day of Summer.  Not the summer solstice, actual first day of summer, but the first Saturday after the last day of school.  The 2019-2020 school year is done.  What... a .... year.  So many professional and personal struggles in a year filled with some pretty huge world wide challenges.  I will be reflecting on many of these in the days and weeks to come, and that's a good thing.  But first I need to let it go.  All of it.  

Today I am free of everything.  Today the summer stretches ahead of me like an ocean of opportunity.  Today I am ignoring the phone and the to do list and the pile of need to's.  Today I begin to recharge.  




As the sun starts to go down on this blissful day of abandon, I find myself on the deck.  With every motion of my rocking chair, I can feel peace washing over me.  I'm watching the breeze as it weaves gently through the leaves on the trees.  The birds are cooing sweet lullabyes as they settle into their nests for the evening.  In the pond, the bullfrogs are billowing out their throats in full force, hoping a mate will join them on a moonlight tryst.  

At the very edge of night, the first firefly appears.  Then another and another, until the grass and the trees sparkle with them everywhere.  For an hour, they twinkle in a way that makes the stars dim in deference to their artistry and grace.  I am lost in their dance.  When the fireflies settle for the night, there is the rising moon and the sky full of stars to keep me company.  I rock gently back and forth.  

I have found my peace.

May you find what brings you yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment